Anytune will display text lyrics (or TABs) that are added in Anytune or embedded in your song audio file.
Watch Auto Scrolling Song Lyrics and Guitar Tabs.
Some songs from audio files have lyrics, and some do not. Lyrics can be embedded in the audio file meta data (Tag2:Lyrics).
The Music app (iTunes) allows you to add custom lyrics to the meta data in the audio file.
Note: Apple Music includes lyrics in their streaming service, however these lyrics not always included in the audio file itself which is required for Anytune to display them.
You can add or change the Lyrics in Anytune. These are saved in the songs config data and not saved to the audio file. Anytune first displays the lyrics in the Anytune config and if none exist the lyrics embedded in the audio file.
Files Exported (Tuned or original) from Anytune will include the lyrics in the meta data of the audio file.
Anytune requires reloading the song or “Reload Lyrics” to update lyrics.
The Music App on iOS requires reloading the song or Tapping the Lyrics button to update the lyrics.
Note: When using "Sync Library" to manually sync your songs from your computer to your devices changes to lyrics only may not appear on your iPad/iPhones. You will need to delete the song on your device and re-sync. See Lyrics Sync Issue below.
Watch this video to see how to add lyrics to a song.
Lyric View Gestures
The scrolling lyrics view has some useful gestures.
- Tap the lyrics once to toggle fullscreen lyrics On/Off
- Double Tap the center of the lyrics view to Play / Pause playback
- Double Tap the right side of the lyrics view to got to the Next Mark
- Double Tap the left side of the lyrics view to go to the Previous Mark
Tap Edit to copy, add or edit Lyrics.
Add or change lyrics in the Music app (iTunes)
- In iTunes, select and open a song.
- Right-click on the song and choose Song Info, OR
iTunes menu > Edit > Song Info.
- Choose "Lyrics".
- Edit the lyrics and sync the song to your device.
Note: When manually syncing your device (or using “Add to Device”) after modifying custom lyrics the audio file is NOT download to your device! You must un-sync and then sync for the file on your device to be updated.
Add or change lyrics in Anytune
You can add, edit or replace lyrics with any text, including textual TABs or Chord charts in Anytune.
Lyrics added in Anytune are saved in Anytune's config and not added to the audio file or the iTunes database.
- On iPhone: Tap the (or ) Mode Selector and select Lyrics Mode button
- On iPad: Tap the Lyrics Mode button .
If the song has embedded lyrics they will be shown.
(In iTunes > Get Info > Lyrics to see if the song has lyrics)
- Tap Edit to add or edit Lyrics, and Save.
The Lyrics are stored in Anytune as part of the song's data (config).
- Tap the Restore button to replace your Anytune changes with the lyrics that are stored with the song or in iTunes.
G Em I found a love for me
C D Darling, just dive right in, and follow my lead
G Em Well, I found a girl beautiful and sweet
C D I never knew you were the someone waiting for me
Importing lyrics in a text file
With Anytune on Mac you can add lyrics to a song by dragging identically named audio and text (.txt) files into Anytune.
- Create a plain text file with the extension .txt with the same name as the audio file.
- Select both files and drag them both into Anytune by placing them on All Tunes or a playlist.
The text in the SongName-Artist.txt file will be added to the lyrics in the song.
The lyrics scroll relative to the position in the song. When the playhead is at the beginning of the song, the beginning of the text is shown. The middle line of the text will be shown when the playhead is in the middle of the song. You may need to add spaces to ensure the lyrics align with the music, which can be difficult at first. Adding lines slows the scrolling. Add spaces when there are instrumental parts to the song.
You can enable or disable Auto Scroll Lyrics in the lyrics settings.
Tap or (macOS) lyrics settings buttons to adjust the settings of the lyrics. You can adjust the:
- Font Size
- Font and Background Colour
- Use Mono Space Font if you are using textual TABs or chord charts
- Auto Scroll Lyrics scrolls the lyrics based on the position of the playhead
Lyrics Sync Issue
There appears to be a bug in Apple's Music app such that changing and syncing custom lyrics does not update the file on other devices as you would expect.
When modifying custom lyrics in the Music app and manually syncing your device (or using “Add to Device”), the updated audio file is NOT download to your device! You must un-sync and then sync for the file on your device to be updated so that the Music and Anytune apps can display the custom lyrics. This is not ideal. :(
I have opened a bug report with Apple, I encourage you to do the same @ apple.com/feedback.
Please sign in to leave a comment.