Anytune plays songs directly from your iTunes library, but you don't need an iTunes library to use Anytune.
Adding songs to Anytune Mac
You can import songs into Anytune in the following ways:
- Anytune > File > Add to Anytune...
- Right-Click on a music file and select Open with Anytune, or
- Drag song files from a folder or directly from iTunes onto a Playlist in Anytune.
Use Anytune > Preferences > Advanced to adjust the import behaviour. Select whether to play imported songs from the original location, or to copy the file into Anytune so the song will still be available if removed from the original location.
Songs stored internal to Anytune and are not directly accessible.
Right-click > Get Info on a song in a list or the Title to reveal the location.
If the song is outside Anytune you will see path and a [Show in Finder] button, and a [Export Original Song...] button if it is stored internally.
Anytune can access songs on external drives, but must also have permission to access the place where the file is. Usually you are asked once and then never again for that folder and you can give permission for the entire drive or top level folder.
Disabling Anytune access to your iTunes library
Anytune 1.0 to 2.2 uses the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file created by iTunes to determine the location of songs in your iTunes music library.
Disallow Anytune access to this file and your iTunes Music Library:
- Quit Anytune
- Open iTunes and Choose iTunes > Preferences, then click Advanced
- Ensure “Share iTunes Library XML with other applications” box is unchecked.
That is the default.
- If it is enabled, then toggle it OFF, click OK.
- Start Anytune
Anytune 2.3 supports Catalina and the new Music App, which does not use the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file. The ability to disconnect from iTunes is coming in a future update.
See Apple's About iTunes library files for more information.
Hiding iTunes categories
You can hide the iTunes categories (Songs, Artists, Playlists and albums) from the songs list:
- Hover over the ITUNES title in the songs panel
- Click HIDE